Visiting the dentist on a regular interval is a good habit that can help ensure that your natural teeth last a lifetime. During routine visits, the dentist performs professional cleanings, inspects your teeth, gums, and mouth, and recommends the necessary treatment for looming oral issues before they get worse.
It is recommended that you visit your dentist every six months for cleaning and a dental exam. Some patients may require shorter or longer intervals depending on their oral health and risk of future dental disease. The date of your next appointment will be determined based on the results of your check up.
The First Visit
If you have recently found a new dentist in Winnetka, CA, then your first exam will likely include a discussion of the history of your oral and general health and any concerns you may have, including details about any oral and body diseases or conditions you’re suffering from and the medications you’re currently taking.
You will also have a physical exam that includes:
- A thorough inspection of all your teeth for decay, cracks, fractures,malocclusion, and other signs of damage
- An assessment of the condition of any existing dental repair work, like fillings, crowns, veneers, and so on.
- A thorough check of your gum health using a tiny measuring device, periodontal probe, to measure the gum line – where the gums meet the tooth root
- A careful examination to check for signs of oral cancer and other diseases in your tongue, lips, mouth, throat, neck, gums, and other oral tissues.
- X-rays to provide additional diagnostic information
- Examination of any cosmetic treatments you may want to improve your smile
The results of your exam will guide the process of creating your custom oral care plan for preventive and/or ongoing treatments. Keep in mind that the health of your mouth has a direct impact on your overall health. This means that a proper oral hygiene routine that combines good oral habits and regular dental checkups is the best way to keep your teeth, gums, and smile healthy.